Pages

Wednesday 31 October 2012

Web Development on Windows 7 - Essential Applications

As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been asked for specific information on how I work. Having a solid work environment can go a long way in increasing your efficiency and help you stay organized, so today we’ll take a look at the setup of my desktop computer.

The majority of my web design and development work is done on a 64-bit Windows 7 desktop. For more serious programming projects (pretty much any language other than PHP, HTML or CSS), I do switch over to Ubuntu in VMware Workstation, but nearly all of my web design client work is done in Windows. From my experience so far, Windows 7 has been absolutely stellar for web development – it’s easy to use, fast and just plain works.

Using the Right Software

The key to working in any OS is using the right tools to make your work process as painless and efficient as possible. Thankfully for Windows users, there are plenty of great tools available for web design and development.

Notepad++

This is probably the best text editor available on Windows and best of all, it’s completely open source. Notepad++ supports custom styles, recognizes a multitude of different programming languages and supports third-party plugins. For my setup, I use a slightly modified Ruby Blue style/theme and the following plugins:

  • Explorer – Adds a file browser in a pane to the left or right of your editing screen, giving you quick access to your project files

  • Zen-Coding (Python-based) – If you don’t know what Zen Coding is, just watch the video. It will change the way you write web pages!

There are a few more installed but these are the two I really can’t live without. I’m still new to Zen Coding but so far it’s been an incredible experience, I highly recommend it!…Read more:

Mobile Apps Development Team

If you want to be the owner of an amazing application developed by our expert Windows 7 app developer then hire us. We offer Windows mobile web development to the Windows phone and tablet users.

1 comment:

  1. Also We used Notetab++ which is best text editor software. Thanks for explaining in detail.

    ReplyDelete